Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chapter 1: Planning (Dec 02 - Dec 16)

December 02, 2007 - We took new pictures and this time made sure it was meeting the Visa requirements

December 03, 2007 - We submitted the pictures to the Travel Agent and hoped things will work out

December 09, 2007 - The Travel Agent calls up and informs us that Visas are being "Processed" and that I should make the final payment. Well, I told him that the day I get the passport in my hands, I'll do the needful. Lesson # 6, Be Patient, there is no hurry.

December 12, 2007 - The Travel Agent calls up again and "Voila!!" this time he calls up not only to make the final payment but also to collect the Passport with Visas, Receipts and other relevant docs.

December 13, 2007 - I visit the Travel Agent and collected the stuff, first RUDE shock, I have a connecting flight to Singapore. I have to fly to Colombo, Sri Lanka and then catch a flight to Singapore. Same arrangement while coming back. The transit time in Colombo is anywhere between 5-6 Hours...Lesson # 7, Be ready to swallow your spit, there is nothing you can do about this and ofcourse at this stage. I did try to get the flight details multiple times from the Agent but ke kept deferring it. I think these things are part of their Tour Packages and I did check that if you had to book flights on your own, it will cost you much higher. So, whatever.

Lets not spoil the mood. Yes, one important update, I checked on the Sri Lankan Airlines Web site that they have something called Night Stop, where the Airlines takes care of your lodging, meals and transfers at Hotels, all complimentary, if your Transit Time is >=8 Hours. I dont know, if it applies to me and the Travel Agent was not sure either, I guess I'll have to figure it out in Sri Lanka. Phew!

Hmm..now checking the other stuff I see that the Singapore Visa (Tourist) is Multiple-Entry for 2 Years. May come handy next year as well, who knows :)

One more thing on my Agenda in the upcoming Weekend is to get Foreign Currency, the same Travel Agent was also a Franchise of Western Union Money Transfer. Now the prevailing rate for $ 1 SGP = 27 INR. Let me see how much I want to pamper myself in a foreign country, I think I'll go easy for the first time :)

By the way heres another site you should check, if you plan to travel to Singapore, it is pretty comprehensive and has lots of important contacts nos. for credit card companies, banks, embassy, helplines etc...

December 14, 2007 - Today I collected the foriegn exchange from the Agent. I see that it comes complete with a Bill and all. I had to handover copies of my Visa, Passport & Air Tickets to get these. Lesson # 8, Play safe, just for the sake of $ 1 more or less you may end up getting counterfiet currency from unreliable sources and you know how that can land you in trouble in a foriegn country. One more thing, if you need the currency in different denominations, you can let them know in advance. I went ahead with half of my currency in smaller bills.

December 15, 2007 - Another first in my life, visited a Salon to get a uh..well..ah I had no idea what they called it but I figured out it was a combination of Facial + Bleach. It was funny when the masseur asked me how come you decided to get one now (all of a sudden) and I was like you have no idea what I have been up to these days :) Well she was good at what she did and I felt a lot less greasier. Mind you all good things come with a price tag, this was no different :) Whats a vacation without some fresh look huh? Oh yea, got a new hairdo too. Lo'real anyone??

December 16, 2007 - Shopping time, picked out everything that boys will need on a vacation. Lesson # 9, Mind you, not everything you buy or own should be taken along, less baggage, less hassles since its a Holiday time, the Airport Authorities are going to be everything but in a festive mood ;) I have also heard that Singapore boasts of some nice Shopping spots, if you planning to buy there you might as well cut down here. One more item on my Agenda is something called Home Calling Cards from Vodafone. Its an alternative to the expensive International Roaming on your cell phone.

Well, that pretty much wraps up our Planning, next few Chapters will see me Taking-Off, Landing and the moment of truth, Singapore Tour. Oh yea, one more Chapter...Flying Back Home :) Enjoy the ride!!

No comments: